When a roof reaches the end of its lifespan, you generally have two options to choose from: replace the entire roof or hire professionals to perform a re-roofing procedure. So, if you’re wondering if you need a roof replacement or if re-roofing is the right choice, you’ve come to the right place.
Deciding if you need a roof replacement, re-roofing or a roof repair service in San Diego isn’t always easy. In this article, we will tell you all about re-roofing and help you decide on the best course of action if your roof is old and needs to be worked on. Read on!
Can you put new roof shingles over old ones?
The short answer to this question is yes, it’s possible to place new shingles over an old roof. However, this is only feasible if your old roof is made from asphalt or composition shingles. Slate or wood shingles can’t be re-roofed, so keep that in mind.
Another prerequisite is that your roof needs to be in relatively good shape for re-roofing to work. Minor issues are fine but if your roof is severely damaged, covering it with new shingles won’t do much. It’s also important not to mix materials during re-roofing. This means that you shouldn’t place asphalt shingles over wood, for instance.
Is re-roofing a good idea?
If you’re hesitant about re-roofing, it’s probably because you aren’t sure if getting a complete new roof would be the better option overall. While that may be true in certain cases, a re-roofing process can be a great idea in many situations. Here’s how re-roofing can be good:
- It can save you some money. Laying new shingles over old ones is generally less expensive than tearing off the old roof and placing a new one. If you’re not ready to invest in a roof replacement at the moment, re-roofing can be a great choice.
- It will look just as good as a new roof. If re-roofing is done properly, the end result will be as visually appealing as a brand new roof. Of course, the type of your old roof will influence the choice of re-roofing materials, so keep that in mind.
- It will last as long if done well. Similarly, a re-roof will have a lifespan that is as long as that of a new roof if the procedure is done according to the highest industry standards.
- It takes less time and effort. Re-roofing won’t last as long as a complete roof replacement as long as safe re-roofing practices are followed. While the technicians are working on your roof, you’ll get to take a break and visit the San Diego Zoo.
- It can give you extra protection. Adding a new layer of shingles on your roof will provide added protection from rain and storms. Naturally, this can only work if your old roof was in good condition.
Of course, re-roofing won’t be the best option in all circumstances. A roof that is more than 20 years old and shows serious signs of damage will need to be torn-off and replaced entirely. The best way to decide is to have knowledgeable roofing contractors inspect the state of your roof and determine the best approach in your particular situation.
Choose our premier roof repair service in San Diego!
Having a sturdy and long-lasting roof is a must for any homeowner. That is why you should take your time when deciding on the best path to take if your existing roof is nearing the end of its life. Fortunately, with 619 Roofing you won’t have to worry about making a bad decision.
The top-notch experts will be ready to answer all your questions and advise you if you have to replace your entire roof and what to do about the missing shingles. Reach out to us today and have seasoned industry experts take care of your roofing troubles!